Danny the Deal Guru recently identified an opportunity that could be useful for those in multi-player households: Marriott Bonvoy offers a referral program whereby both you and the person you refer an earn bonus points when the new member signs up and stays at Marriott properties. I could see this coming in handy if your Player 2 doesn’t yet have a Marriott account and you have some stays coming where status won’t matter and/or if you help a friend get started in the Marriott ecosystem.
- Marriott Bonvoy offers a referral program whereby an existing member can refer up to 5 new members per year and both the new member and person referring them will earn 2,000 bonus points per stay for the new member’s first 5 stays
- Generate your referral link here. Please do not try to leave links in the comments — they get caught in our spam filter and will not post (and the person you refer will need your name and Marriott Bonvoy number, which you wouldn’t want to share with a stranger anyway)
- Marriott Bonvoy™ members can earn up to 50,000 bonus points each calendar year by referring friends & colleagues into the Reward a Friend program.
- Sponsor a new member through the Reward a Friend program. Each time the new member makes a stay, the sponsoring member receives 2,000 bonus points, up to 5 stays.
- Members can sponsor up to 5 new members each year.
- Your referrals will also earn 2,000 Marriott Bonvoy bonus points beginning with their first paid stay, up to 5 stays. That’s 10,000 bonus points in addition to the base points they’ll earn.
- Stays your referrals make at any participating Marriott Bonvoy™ hotel qualify and must be made within 365 days of enrollment.
- New members must sign up through the Reward a Friend channels and provide their sponsor’s name and Marriott Bonvoy account number.
- Channels include https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/earn/reward-a-friend.mi or by calling Customer Support at 800-450-4442 in U.S. and Canada and referencing the Reward a Friend program.
- Sponsor must be a member in good standing with the Marriott Bonvoy Program.
- New members who join through the Reward a Friend program must designate Marriott Bonvoy points as their earning preference. Miles earning preference is not an option with the Reward a Friend program.
- Should any of the initial 5 stays be retroactively deducted from the new member’s account, the bonus points will also be deleted from the sponsor’s account.
- New members cannot retroactively designate a sponsor. Sponsorship must be determined at the time of new member’s enrollment.
- Marriott Bonvoy reserves the right to end the Reward a Friend program at any time.
- A stay is defined as consecutive nights spent in the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity.
- Marriott Associates may not participate in the Reward a Friend program.
- For full terms, see the promotion landing page
This bonus isn’t huge for either side — it wouldn’t be enough to really draw someone in as a new Marriott member. I remember years ago Marriott used to offer a free night certificate after signing up and completing your first couple of stays, but I don’t think they’ve offered that in years.
This current offer gets some extra points for both sides. If you’re playing in two-player mode, I could imagine a use case where you’ve got some upcoming stays at a property where status won’t matter (say a TownePlace Suites or SpringHill or Fairfield or something like that), I could see referring Player 2 to sign up so that you get 4K total household bonus points with each of P2’s first 5 stays. Since Marriott allows you to move points to other account holders, you could easily combine the points into the account where they would be most useful later on. The new member must make their qualifying stays within 365 days, so you have a whole year to complete this and get the bonus.